We’re 10 days into 2022, and anticipation is already building for what’s to come this year.
There will be plenty of exciting races, memorable moments, and great times to be had this year at tracks all across the country.
Everyone (even horseplayers) make New Year’s resolutions; some are more successful than others.
Here are a few for racing fans that are certainly attainable.
1. PICK THE WINNER OF THE KENTUCKY DERBY Racing’s greatest tradition, the Kentucky Derby, will take place on May 7th at Churchill Downs. For the next four months, the Derby Trail will be in full swing, as the country’s top 3-year-olds try to earn their place in the starting gate through a series of qualifying races. This resolution, like losing weight, requires some effort. So for the next 16 weeks pay attention to the prep races and get to the gym.
2. CHECK OUT BOTH SARATOGA & DEL MAR For racing fans, summer means following the action at Saratoga Race Course and Del Mar. Saratoga, located in the picturesque town of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., is among the country’s oldest tracks. They’ve been racing there since the mid-1860s. Meanwhile, Del Mar is just a few furlongs away from the Pacific Ocean, which inspired its nickname, Where the Turf Meets the Surf. While the atmospheres are very different, both tracks offer top-quality racing and are both worth a trip for any racing fan. 3
3. WIN LOTS OF MONEY AT THE BETTING WINDOWS Every horseplayer dreams of making a life-changing score. Wagers such as the Pick 5, where bettors try to select five consecutive winners, often pay thousands of dollars to anyone savvy or lucky enough to cash. Last August 12th at Saratoga, the late Pick 5 paid more than $161,000 dollars to a handful of Winning bettors. Every day, there’s plenty of chances to make a big score of your own. Continue to read the Daily Racing Blog for general handicapping advice.
4. TRAVEL TO KEENELAND AND EXPLORE LEXINGTON For a few weeks in April and a few more in October, the focus of the racing world turns to Keeneland, located in the Thoroughbred capital of the world, Lexington, Kentucky. A trip to Keeneland can be combined with one of the many other attractions in Lexington. They include the Kentucky Horse Park, the Woodford Reserve distillery, and some of the country’s top stallion farms, including Claiborne Farm.
5. BRING FRIENDS TO THE TRACK A day at the track is fun under any circumstances, but sharing the experience with friends and family makes it even better. There’s nothing like the thrill of cheering home a group ticket, or taking a new fan to the paddock to get up close and personal with the horses for the first time. The best way to show a new fan just how great racing is is to let them see it in person. Once they’ve taken their first trip, it’s unlikely it’ll be their last.
The Daily Racing Blog wishes all its readers a Happy New Year, and hopes your 2022 is out of the gate clean, and that you have a good/safe trip the rest of the way.