The Kentucky Derby is less than two weeks away. The potential field of twenty is still unclear, but the likely starters are coming more into focus with each passing day.
Word came Saturday that two horses on the points leaderboard were pulled from contention: CONCERT TOUR and CROWDED TRADE, both of whom will now aim toward the May 15th Preakness.
Those defections allowed O BESOS and GET HER NUMBER to climb into the top 20 on the points leaderboard.
The first three outside the top 20 now are KING FURY, HOCKEY DAD and KEEPMEINMIND.
All that said, here is the current (as of Sunday) top twenty horses eligible to run in the Derby, listed by point total, along with trainers.
1. ESSENTIAL QUALITY 140 points. Brad Cox
2. HOT ROD CHARLIE 110 points. Doug O’Neil
3. SUPER STOCK 109 points. Steve Asmussen
4. LIKE THE KING 104 points. Wesley Ward
5. KNOWN AGENDA 102 points. Todd Pletcher
6. ROCK YOUR WORLD 100 points. John Sadler
7. BOURBONIC 100 points. Todd Pletcher
8. MEDINA SPIRIT 74 points. Bob Baffert
9. MIDNIGHT BOURBON 66 points. Steve Asmussen
10. MANDALOUN 52 points. Brad Cox
11. CADDO RIVER 50 points. Brad Cox
12. HIGHLY MOTIVATED 50 points. Chad Brown
13. HELIUM 50 points. Mark Casse
14. SOUP AND SANDWICH 40 points. Mark Casse
15. DYNAMIC ONE 40 points. Todd Pletcher
16. SAINTHOOD 40 points. Todd Pletcher
17. HIDDEN STASH 32 points Victoria Oliver
18. DREAM SHAKE 30 points. Peter Eurton
19. O BESOS 25 points. Greg Foley
20. GET HER NUMBER 20 points. Peter Miller
The Daily Racing Blog anticipates possibly 1 or 2 additional alterations, before the field is finalized. We will keep you up to date on any changes in the lineup.