As previously mentioned, the field for the 2019 Kentucky Derby is complete. Only an injury to a horse or apathy by the human connections will alter the Top Twenty qualifiers set to compete in America’s Greatest Race.
This is the only race in our country with a 20-horse field, and that provides unique opportunities for bettors. Historically, payoffs in all Exotic Wagers as well as the Pick 3 and Pick 4 have been large, even when the Favorite Wins.
The KD points era began with the 2013 Run For The Roses. From that time forward the results have been remarkably consistent. The top choice has Won, usually while employing a stalking running style. Every Winner in this new era has also recorded a Victory in one of the 100-point Prep Races and entered unbeaten during his 3-year-old campaign.
Let’s start to take a look at some of the entrants. The field is listed in order of qualifying points earned. The Morning Line odds are strictly projections. Also listed is trainer and the likely jockey assignment.
1) TACITUS [ML 6-1] 150 Points Trainer: Bill Mott. Jockey: Jose Ortiz.
2) OMAHA BEACH [ML 9-2] 137.5 Points Trainer: Richard Mandella. Jockey: Mike Smith.
3) VEKOMA [ML 15-1] 110 Points Trainer: George Weaver. Jockey: Javiar Castellano.
4) PLUS QUE PARFAIT [ML 50-1] 104 Points Trainer: Brendan Walsh. Jockey: Ricardo Santana Jr.
5) ROADSTER [ML 5-1] 100 Points Trainer: Bob Baffert. Jockey: Florent Geroux.
6) BY MY STANDARDS [ML 20-1] 100 Points Trainer: Bret Calhoun. Jockey: Gabriel Saez.
7) MAXIMUM SECURITY [ML 10-1] 100 Points Trainer: Jason Servis. Jockey: Luis Saez.
8) GAME WINNER [ML 8-1] 85 Points Trainer: Bob Baffert. Jockey: Joel Rosario.
9) CODE OF HONOR [ML 15-1] 74 Points Trainer: Shug McGaughey. Jockey: John Velazquez.
10) HAIKAL [30-1] 70 Points Trainer: Kiaran McLaughlin. Jockey: Rajiv Maragh.
On Wednesday the Daily Racing Blog will bring you the second half of this field along with the basic pertinent information. So be sure to stop back.