The Road To The Kentucky Derby runs through South Florida this weekend as Gulfstream Park hosts the Fountain Of Youth Stakes on Saturday.
To help you get better acquainted with this race, here are a few facts to help you learn and earn:
1. This year is the 74th edition of the race, which was first run back in 1945.
2. Horses will be competing for a total of 85 Kentucky Derby qualifying points and a purse of $400,000. Last year’s Winner CODE OF HONOR took home $233,120 of the purse.
3. The betting favorite has Won the race just twice in the last 10 years: MOHAYMEN in 2016 and SOLDAT in 2011.
4. The Fountain of Youth has been run at a variety of distances but returned to 1 1/16 miles in 2012 and is unchanged since.
5. Expected favorite DENNIS’ MOMENT will be making his first start of the year in the race. In the last 10 contests, just two eventual Winners were making their 3-year-old debut.
6. No jockey has more Wins in the race than John Velazquez, who has Won it five times including last year aboard CODE OF HONOR.
7. The Fountain of Youth has produced the Winner of the Kentucky Derby 13 times, with five horses Winning both races: ORB (2013), THUNDER GULCH (1995), SPECTACULAR BID (1979), KAUAI KING (1966), and TIM TAM (1958). There have been 96 horses to run in both races since 1980.
8. The betting favorite has been odds-on five times in the last eight years. Four of those odds-on favorites lost, although 9-10 favorite UPSTART did cross the finish line first in 2015 before being disqualified.
9. Two horses have Won the race by a record 8 ½ lengths: ESKENDEREYA in 2010 and SPECTACULAR BID in 1979.
10. The Fountain of Youth has been contested on a fast track every year for the last 25 years. Saturday’s forecast looks favorable to continue that streak.
On Friday the Daily Racing Blog will take a close look at this years field, and see if we can find a Value play (or two) to wet your wagering whistle. So stop back and see what we come up with.