The road to the Kentucky Derby heats up this weekend, as top Triple Crown hopefuls convene at Gulfstream Park for the Fountain Of Youth Stakes. Every year this historic race attracts a competitive field of 3 year-olds, each vying for a spot in the gate on May 4th.
As of this writing the field for this years contest has not been finalized, so for now have a look at these eight fun facts about the South Florida race on Saturday.
1. The first Fountain of Youth was won by TWENTY THIRTY back in 1945, making this year the 74th edition of the historic race.
2. The race offers a purse of $400,000 and a total of 85 Kentucky Derby qualifying points. Last year’s winner PROMISES FULFILLED took home $238,080 of the prize money, plus 50 points.
3. The race has been won by the betting favorite just twice in the last 10 years: odds-on choice MOHAYMEN in 2016 and 7-5 shot SOLDAT in 2011.
4. Thirteen Fountain of Youth horses went on to Win the Kentucky Derby, with five of them Winning both races. ORB was the last to do so, winning the 2013 Fountain of Youth and Kentucky Derby.
5. The Fountain of Youth is a warm-up act for Gulfstream’s biggest KD Prep, the Florida Derby. Fourteen horses have won both races. The most recent being; ORB (2013), SCAT DADDY (2007), and HIGH FLY (2005).
6. Jockey John Velazquez has more Wins in the race than any other active jockey, with four.
7. In 1996, long-shot BUILT FOR PLEASURE won the race at odds of 143-1, paying $288.20 for a $2 Win bet. (a DRB type of wager) He went on to finish 19th in the Kentucky Derby and wouldn’t win another Stakes Race in the rest of his 33-race career.
8. No horse has run the 1 1/16-mile race faster than SENSITIVE PRINCE, who crossed the finish line with a final time of 1:41 in 1978. WOW!!
Be sure to check back with the Daily Racing Blog on Friday when we will take a look at the field for this race and try (as we always do) to find a couple of coins with some Value in the Fountain Of Youth.