The Pegasus World Cup had its inaugural running on January 28, 2017 at Gulfstream Park. It is run on the dirt course at a distance of 1 1⁄8 miles (9 furlongs) and is open to horses four years old and up. With a purse of $12 million in 2017, the Pegasus World Cup surpassed the Dubai World Cup as the richest horse race in the world. The purse was subsequently increased to $16 million in 2018 but reduced to $9 million in 2019.
Entrants carry 124 pounds with a three pound allowance for fillies and mares. Horses that run without the use of the Lasix receive an allowance of five pounds.
The race is named for the mythical horse, a 110-foot statue of which stands at the entrance of Gulfstream Park.
Here is the field for this years edition:
1. BRAVAZO, 12-1 Trainer: D. Wayne Lukas Jockey: Luis Saez
2. SOMETHING AWESOME, 20-1 Trainer: Jose Corrales Jockey: Edgar Prado
3. CITY OF LIGHT, 5-2 Trainer: Michael McCarthy Jockey: Javier Castellano
4. SEEKING THE SOUL, 12-1 Trainer: Dallas Stewart Jockey: John Velazquez
5. ACCELERATE, 9-5 Trainer: John Sadler Jockey: Joel Rosario
6. TOM’S D’ ETAT, 20-1 Trainer: Al Stall Jockey: Shaun Bridgmohan
7. TRUE TIMBER, 30-1 Trainer: Kiaran McLaughlin Jockey: Joe Bravo
8. GUNNEVERA, 8-1 Trainer: Antonio Sano Jockey: Irad Ortiz Jr.
9. KUKULKAN, 30-1 Trainer: Fausto Gutierrez Jockey: Frankie Dettori
10. AUDIBLE, 10-1 Trainer: Todd Pletcher Jockey: Flavien Prat
11. IMPERATIVE , 30-1 Trainer: Anthony Quartarolo Jockey: Tyler Gaffalione
12. PATTERNRECOGNITION, 10-1 Trainer: Chad Brown Jockey: Jose Ortiz
As you see, all the top human connections and their best horses are taking a shot at the the big purse Saturday. Be sure to check back with the Daily Racing Blog on Friday, as we will take a closer look at this race and propose potential profitable picks.